Bloggers face daily new challenges in every morning. Its time to fix not found 404 error pages that return errors in webmaster tools.
As per Google, 404 error pages not affect your websites ranking in search results but you can’t ignore not found webpages. Because this impact negative user experience. So if want give good user experience for your auditions, you need to identify 404 errors webpages from webmaster central tool and fix by permanent 301 redirection.
I found 263 webpages those returns 404 not found error on 24 march, these errors were growing day by day from mid February and affect to reach visitors at my blog.
But now I fixed them all. If you are also facing not found pages problem in word press or blogger blog so you can also reduce and remove them all.
How to Find and Check Not Found 404 Error Pages:
- Sign in webmaster tools and select the website.
- Click on Diagnostic option from left side drop down menu and select crawl errors.
- There are three types of errors Server, soft 404 and not found click on not found option.
- You can find there day by day not found error list.
How To Permanent Redirect 404 Not Found Pages in WordPress:
- In WordPress you can use Redirection plugin to permanent 301 redirection for all 404 errors pages. Install and activate John Godley’s Rediection plugin.
- Open to use redirection plugin from WordPress dashboard-> tools -> redirection.
- Now click on not found webpage and copy link location.
- Paste link to source box and enter similar post or categories link in target url box, now hit the add redirection button. Like same way add redirection one by one individual not found pages from webmaster tools and redirect to similar posts or categories.
How to Redirect 404 Not Found Error Pages in Blogger:
- Sign in blogger and click on settings and select search preferences option.
- Go to Error and redirection click on edit in custom redirection.
- Copy the link location of not found error in webmaster tools and paste it to From box start with slash (/).
- Enter desired target url in custom redirect To box hit click save and save changes button.
- Add them one by one with manual process for custom redirection setting. This would be lengthy process if you have hundreds of 404 errors in webmaster tools.
After applying redirection to not found pages on 24 march it reduced 107 not found pages in 25 march and eight not found webpages on 26 march now today it shows only one 404 error in webmaster tools. It is a result of more than 4 hours hard work and after two days, Thank God, I successfully reduced 255 not found pages in just 2 days. Now I check crawl errors twice a week in webmaster tools.